Yesterday, I dyed some bra notions (plus possible panty fabrics) in various shades of blue and green, to coordinate with the printed silk I’d chosen for my second bra project. Personally, I think that using this related-but-not-necessarily-matching approach really helps all the colors blend with the sort of watercolor-y abstractness of the print:
If I’d chosen just one solid color for the coordinating bits, I would have had to work harder at making that color “match” one color in the print.
And then I got to thinking…
What if I actually did want everything to be all one color?
So I took small pieces of these undyed materials…
… and dyed them all in the same fuchsia dye bath*. And got some interesting results:
As you can see in this photo, the various pieces each absorbed the dye a little differently. This is primarily due to varying fiber content; 3, 4, and 6 are 100% nylon, 1 is 80% nylon/20% rayon (the rayon being the part that stayed white), 2 is nylon except for the elastic that stayed white, and 5 is 80% nylon/20% Spandex.
Conclusion: These pieces are close enough in color to be used together, without looking like I tried to match them but didn’t quite make it happen. (I’m sure you know what I mean.)
These experimental pieces are a bit too small to incorporate into a bra, except for the back closure, which I fully intend to use. I’m a big fan of having an element of surprise in garments (fashion should be fun, after all), so I’m thinking of making a bra in something other than fuchsia, and finishing it with this bright back closure as a cheeky contrast. It could look amazing on an all-black bra…
Next up: Yes, I’m finally going to start making my second bra!
*These pieces were dyed with an acid dye; see Notes at the end of my previous dyeing post for more information and links about dyeing.
3 thoughts on “All the Pretty Pieces, Postscript: Dyed to Match”
[…] my pretty custom-dyed pieces, all my materials are ready. Next, I’m going to experiment with dyeing different materials all in a single color, then I’ll get my pattern pieces cut for my second bra, and then (finally) start […]
[…] For more about dyeing your lingerie materials, see these posts: All the Pretty Pieces: Dyeing to Match (or Not), and All the Pretty Pieces, Postscript: Dyed to Match. […]
[…] done several posts that at least touched on dyeing various bra parts, plus my most recent project, ombré-dyeing an entire bra. So I’ve decided it’s about […]